Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dog Vs. Elders

So this one requires a little back story. In my first area down in Mexico, Tultitlan, there was this giant field between where Elder Campbell and I lived and part of our area where there were some apartments. The only way that we knew how to get there was to basically go around this big field, taking the city roads(civilization) which took about 20 minutes to go around. We wanted something better.

Because walking Sucks


So one day, we scope out the other side of the field to flesh out our "genius plan". Everything is looking PRETTY good for the next day. We felt smart...

So picture this, the next day, Elder Campbell and I, with our confidence, are starting to cross this field when we hear:

"A nnnn ero y mu re" (Thh uh dug und ee ite)

So naturally we look around and wonder what that noise was. All we see is a tree behind us, some sheep ahead of us and a lovely field in the middle of the City of Mexico.

We hear it a second time.

"Hay un perro y muerde!" (There's a dog and he bites!)

This phrase doesn't register in our brains. So we still look for the guy who's talking.

Where IS this guy?

There he is! He's standing next to another tree ahead of us with the sheep!

We hear the cryptic message again.

"Hay un perro y muerde!"

It kinda registers this time. So I look around and see a house maybe 50, 60 yards away. With a poof of dust coming around the corner.

Is that a dog? About half a second later, I confirm that is, in fact, a dog. And he's coming straight at me.


Who's a good boy?!?!?! Yes you are!

So here's the situation. There's only one rule that comes to being chased by a dog. "You don't have to run faster than the dog, only faster than your companion" My companion has a good 80 foot head start. Oh, and he's a cross country runner.

I, on the other hand, am not considered athletic. I "ran" a mile in 13 minutes, 5 years ago as a freshman in high school. I'm wearing a shoulder(man) bag, Sunday clothes and a dog on my face.

I run away anyways. And as I'm running for my now precious life, I can feel this dog grabbing my pant leg. I don't want to look back because I know EXACTLY where it is. I may have screamed like a little girl.

In my mad dash to safety, with dog in tow, I miraculously catch up to my companion....... and leave him in the dust.

Arriba arriba! Epa, epa!

After we reach relative safety, and are catching our breath and manhood without a bite or even torn pants. My companion asks me, "Elder, where did you get so much speed?"

My response?


"....I was motivated"

No comments:

Post a Comment