Sunday, January 3, 2016

Why I believe in God

Back in September, I gave a talk in Church. And some members told me they liked it. So, in following in the proud tradition of posting my talks, here are the notes that I used that day.



Who is God?
-          He is my Heavenly Father
o   I am His child
-          He’s not incomprehensible
o         We can come to know and understand Him.
o   He’s willing to teach us, if we’ll listen
§  Exodus 4:12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.
o   Just because we don’t understand now, doesn’t mean we won’t.
-          He is a perfect being
o   He knows a lot more about a lot more things than I do
o   He has given us our agency
o   He has perfect plan
o   D&C 101: 16
§  … for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.

Before I get too far ahead. It’s nigh near impossible to talk about God without mentioning faith. So this is my take on it:
-          It’s ok to doubt every once in awhile. We ARE human and we don’t have a perfect knowledge about just about anything. Many things happen to us that cause us to pause in life and wonder about things. It can be little things or big things, things that someone might say or do.
-          It all depends on what we do with it. Do we use it as an opportunity to learn something new or shrink from it? More often than not, we come out a little stronger for it. We’ve all probably have gone through it once or twice before. None of us is perfect. And we as imperfect beings tend to have a short memory.
-          So here’s my advice; remember. Remember the times you have already overcome another doubt. Remember the times you have received a promise and its reward. Remember the things your faith has already got you through and trust in yourself, and your faith that it’ll carry you through this time. God is there, He knows us by name, and He is waiting for us.

What is His purpose for us?
-          According to His plan, we’re to come to this earth to learn, be tested and find joy.
o   Sometimes it feels like we got stuck on “be tested”. We’ll sometimes feel like all we do is seem to be stuck in sorrow, a trial, a tribulation, a doubt or a pain. And we’ll cry out
o   D&C 121:1, 7-9
§  O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place?
-          I believe this is normal for us mortals. Again, because we’re mortal and have a short memory. We tend to look on these things, which can truly be big deals, as the end, or even worse, the beginning of a horrible time in our lives. Prophets and other people with great faith have wondered the same thing! But, it all depends on what we do with this hardship. I believe in a God of mercy, compassion, and who knows each and every one of us. A God that can see the possibilities of our lives and who genuinely wants us to succeed. I believe in a God that has an eternal perspective on our daily and long term troubles and knows that these things too, shall pass.
§  My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;…  And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
And armed with this knowledge, I know there to be a God.
How did I come to believe in God?
At first it was because my parents told me so.
-          I, having been born of goodly parents.
And then it was because I believed it too.
-          How I came about to wanting to go on a mission
-          Stopped from getting a certain electrician job
o   Coworkers who were good influences
Finally, I knew it for myself.
-          Read book of Mormon
-          Saw changes in people’s faces
-          I've gotten to know my Heavenly Father in a way that I know that he expects so much of us. He expects what, by ourselves, is impossible. We are such fragile creatures. And through it all, our doubts, our trials, and our many opportunities to fail, He will be there to love, encourage and help us.
Why
(Testimony)
Moses 1:39
For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

No comments:

Post a Comment