Monday, July 11, 2011

I don't think I'm supposed to be here.

  So, we all go through weird situations. Let me tell you about the earliest one I can remember.

I had just moved from El Paso, Texas to Phoenix, AZ. I was nine and was to start the 4th grade at Sahuaro Elementary. I was nervous about my first day.

"Nine year old kid at a new school. What's so weird about that?", you may say.

Well, that's where the normalcy ends, dear reader.

First off, I noticed that EVERY kid was bigger than me. "Fine", my little ego said, "I'm the little guy, I can still make friends. Nothing wrong about this, I'm cool."

But, I started noticing that these kids had WAY different tastes than I did. I was still digging the Power Rangers while most of the other kids were into COPS and The Simpsons.

Don't deny it, Kimberly was the one you paid most attention to.

Then things started to get strange.

As classes started, I noticed that I had absolutely NO IDEA what was going on. Especially math.
In third grade, I had just finished learning how to multiply and divide. Now I was learning some kajigger about little two's that were all powerful.

Exponents: OBEY
As dumb as I was when I was nine, I knew something was wrong. But I was still dumb.... and curious. So I stuck with it.

Anyways, apparently some teacher noticed the short, dumbfounded 9 yr old walking around and let the Principal know.

Short time later, the principal walked up to me and told me, "Soooo... ummm... there's was a misunderstanding. Turns out that we were supposed to put you in the 4th grade."


"Huh?"


"You see, you were just in the 6th grade. That's why nothing made sense."

AH!

Moral of the story?
Roll with the punches! You'll learn sooner or later!

No comments:

Post a Comment